I’m a custard freak. My mother always had baked custard with nutmeg around for dessert when I was a child. I loved to break through the nutmeg crust with my spoon and sample the delicious cold, caramel-flavor of that smooth egg custard. As a no-fat vegan, I use non-dairy milk and cornstarch to achieve a similar concoction. This can be made as a sauce to use with fruit crisp or as a stand-alone pudding. Use whatever non-dairy milk you like best!
2 C vanilla non-dairy milk (I use almond, but any, such as soy or rice, will work)
1/8 C agave or honey
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or amount to your taste)
pinch of salt
1. Mix the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan.
2. Whisk in cornstarch as follows:
- For custard sauce: 2 TBSP
- For pudding: 3-4 TBSP depending on how thick you like it
3. Cook on medium heat until it just thickens. Remember, it will firm up considerably when chilled.
4. Pour into glass dish or pitcher and chill.